Gosh I miss the days of old when summer was really summer. A time to take off from school, assignments, responsibility, and life in general. Now that I'm a grown-up, I really miss the relaxed laziness of summer. I don't even know what it IS to have a lazy summer anymore!
Work is nonstop...I can't take off from that.....so how can I capture the essence of summer in the context of adulthood?!?!?!! I'm just coming down from the high of one of the world's funnest celebrations (Caribana in Toronto!!!), and I want to build this FUN state of mind into my week.
I can't lie - I do find traces of summer in my weekends (a trip to the cottage, a few cookouts here and there.....), but I really want to find more happiness in this limited season that we have. I made the mistake of planning my big trip to California earlier this summer, in June. I kinda wish I had planned it for August - sort of something to look forward to throughout the summer, know what I mean?
Celebrating summer in Ottawa.....this is going to be my quest. I've got some ideas....if you've got a few to add, please let me know :)
- Buy popsicles and eat them on the patio.
- Take an hour-long boat ride on the canal.
- WALK on the canal.
- Hijack my friend Daphna's pool for an afternoon.
- Take more walks outside (especially in the morning, if I can. It's too muggy around sunset).
- FIND A BEACH
- Go dancing.
- Ask around about who is having a cookout (we can't have a grill on our outside property. REALLY WACK!!!!!
- Dress in lighter fabrics.
- Have some summer dinners.
Hope to hear more ideas from ya!