Friday, June 10, 2011

I've got to be the most unemployed professional you know

Seriously!  My career has been FULL of amazing experiences, but nothing beyond 2.5 years. I've had short term contracted work, fellowships, and gigs that were more work-visa dependent than I'd prefer. Is this normal?!?!?!?

I've been thinking about researching cities (and that, girlfriend, means booking a flight/train/bus ride!).  I've rung the alarm and put in some resumes at organizations in Philly, NYC, DC, Raleigh, etc.  Just the other day, I set my sights on Toronto.  It's a fantastic center of culture, commerce, and great living.  The festivals, concerts, restaurants are never-ending.

It'll be tough, though, to find myself in a new city, aiming to live in a new country (I've lived in Canada for 2 years, but I still need to take care of all the legal stuff),  and getting myself into a new job. But this challenge, my friends, is one that I can't wait to take on.

Here are a few ways that I've pounded the pavement - please please please, send along thoughts on how you've aimed to do the same.  Would LOVE to put your ideas to the test!
  1. Network like crazy.
  2. Volunteer at events, meetings, and conferences.
  3. Find mentors in the field you work in, the city you want to live in, and those golden folks who you want to be like when you grow up.
  4. Get noticed (for me, it's on platforms like my blog, my LinkedIn profile, and making special requests for e-introductions.
  5. Getting in front of people.  Whether it's a 15 second elevator chat or an hour long pow-wow, getting in front of people gives them a sense of who you are - genuinely - and that means as much as a well oiled resume ANY day!
Cheers,
(an unemployed, but faithful) Allyson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Allyson, the right position will come your way. And I'm going to put it out there that it will come sooner than you know it, especially since you're trying.

All the best to you!

Post a Comment

Search This Blog