Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Balancing Acts - Planning Relaxation


In building on June's theme of balance, I want to explore how folks relax. I've always battled with a relaxed state of mind....it takes too much to achieve!

When I go to yoga, I get stressed because the poses take too long, the other sounds of the gym are too imposing, and the mats that we use are probably germ ridden and disgusting.

When I try to mediate at home, the contruction outside is sooooo noisy and there are a ton of other things on my TODO list that I have to cross off.

When I try to relax after work, I rush through other things (workouts, making dinner, doing laundry) just to relax, and I get myself all worked up because I don't think I'll have enough time to relax!

I feel like I have to go somewhere (the nearby Canal for a walk is an example), buy something (candles or a eucalyptus plant maybe?), or go to a class (who wants to pay $10 for an hour of Tai Chi!?!?!?!?).

So my thinking is to build relaxation into moments, not activities. I'm not quite sure how to accomplish this, so your thoughts and practices are more than welcome! I have a few ideas, and I'm hoping to keep this list growing!!!

  • At some appointed time (here I go planning again! But this could be an exception), stop whatever I'm doing, and do a breathing and meditation exercise for a few minutes.
  • I'm situated at a desk for the day job, and I've discovered that taking breaks throughout the day gives me a much needed mental break. I usually just walk up and down a few flights of stairs, which gets my body working and heart beat pumping. It's not relaxing as much as it is rejuvenating, but it's all part of the cycle:)
  • Drinking water - but not ice cold water....it's soothing somehow.
  • Hearing water, too....I'm just not sure a fountain would work so well in my office, but somebody brilliant at Youtube has solved that problem! Check it out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDEn9P9_S-s. Love this!
  • Hug someone. Just the exchange of friendly, warm, and soothing energy with another person is so relaxing. This is a pose I can hold on to for a while!

Any other ideas? Please do share!

ciao y'all!

a

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog