Sunday, April 7, 2013

47. Morning Hair



The woman shall always do something to her hair (brush, wrap, pin, tie, slick down, or cover) before facing the scrutiny of the public eye. 

From simply looking at a woman's hair, one can tell when a woman has just rolled out of bed, weathered a windstorm, or is stressed out.  There is no excuse, ladies for us to look unkempt, disheveled, or lazy.

I had a 7:30 a.m. team meeting in NYC this past Thursday morning, and some of my lady colleagues looked a hot mess.  You could smell the sleep on them!  I'm the only Negrita on my team, and so our hair stories might read a bit differently.  Maybe it's just me, but it's so easy to run a comb/brush through your hair, and my Caucasian lovelies have it a bit easier here, it seems. 

No matter our texture, curl pattern, or courseness, our appearance is such a reflection of our attention to detail, our hygiene, and our professionalism.  We gotta get it together!

Start with a $100 hair cut.  It's so worth it!  Be sure to choose a stylist who knows your hair texture, has the wisdom to observe the shape and structure of your face, and can give you a cut that suits your lifestyle.  I abhor doing my hair in the morning (I've been a naturally curly girl since 1998, y'all!), but I take heed to honor the necessity of a well-suited hair cut.

Next, have your products and tools handy at all times.  Pop a brush in your bag.  Have some curl spritz handy to pump up a diminishing mane throughout the day.  Carry bobby pins in your wallet to pin down naughty tendrils.  Know your hair, and know what it takes to maintain a polished look throughout your day.

Grandmom always said that a woman's hair is her glory.   I don't use hot combs or coconut hair grease anymore, but the adage remains golden so many years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog