Thursday, February 4, 2010

Gettin' the beautiful on


Just came across an awesome article on an even more awesome website http://clutchmagonline.com/newsgossipinfo/you-know-you-love-being-natural-when/ (will be adding this one to the Graceful Exits list for sure!) and it brought to mind that there's a solid number of sisters who actually ponder whether or not to go natural. While I may be in the minority here, I really believe that humans are at their most beautiful when they are at their most, well....human. What's there to think about?

When I was coming up, my grandmother (North Carolina matriarch that she is) pressed my hair every morning - just a part of the routine. As soon as I hit college in 1998, it all came off - without a second thought. I had no clue about what my hair would feel like; what the shape of my head would look like; nor how large my ears would appear to be. I did it fearlessly and I am so glad I did!!! I've been natural for 12 years now, and it's the best way for me to adorn myself each day.

I totally understand that as women of color, we have different shades and grades, different twirls and curls...but what you have is for you. Of course there are products and processes to accentuate what you have, but nothing tops what the Good Lord gave you.

Go get your beautiful on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog